It's been a hot minute since I've updated the blog. For the past 2-3 months I've been in a spiral of trying to figure out how to feature content on the blog vs. featuring content on my youtube channel, in addition to balancing work and family has been quite the number of spinning plates on dowel rods (am I showing my age with that reference?) But today's post will offer some potential clarity to how I will try to balance Youtube stuff vs. Blog stuff, and then of course, what I'm reading this week is at the bottom!
The Blog vs. Youtube....
I have essentially evolved my youtube channel into what I was initially doing with the blog, but instead of long-form reviews in text of every book, I've been focusing on a top 5 list, and then deep analysis of why I'm picking up specific books in my pull list. I've also started doing interviews again with authors and more. So, it feels silly both writing a review, and talking about it on youtube.
So how to strike the balance? The one thing that hasn't changed for me is my LOVE of indie comics (regardless of the pile of Marvel books each week). I have been lucky to have early access to titles from a handful of publishers as well as creators kickstarting or funding their own publishing endeavors. Therefore, I foresee the future division of blog vs. youtube as follows:
1. Current release comics (weekly pull, top five rankings etc.)
2. Live interviews with whomever wants to put up with my fanboy-ing of their work.
3. Mixed-media interpretations and reviews of comics from independent publishers and creators.
1. I'll still share my reading list =-)
2. Previews of any book I get early access to (writing long-form reviews is somewhat cathartic to me).
3. Reviews of Trades and other books that I'm playing catch-up on.
4. Anything that you the good people desire =-).
Really, while all of this content creation is therapeutic for me, and I don't mind "screaming into the void..." I do want to create content that fans and/or creators alike find useful. So, if you have any thoughts on what you'd like to see on the blog or on the youtube channel, most definitely let me know!
The Weekly Pull
I'm starting to change the way I put my stack together for reading each week. Normally, I would just stack things from what I'm most to least interested in reading. What I'm working on doing is putting the things I'm the most excited about at the top, and some books that I know will leave a pleasant taste in my mouth at the end of the week at the end. We'll see if I'm enjoying my reading process more each week!
1. Deep Beyond #1 (Image)
2. Maniac of New York (Aftershock) <-----Extra Pick-Up
3. They Fell From The Sky #1 (Mad Cave)
4. Sea of Sorrows #3 (IDW)
5. Avengers #42 (Marvel)
6. Luna #1 (Boom!) <-----Extra Pick-Up (Thanks Cole from Comic Burrito!)
7. Redemption #1 (AWA/Upshot)
8. Venom #33 (Marvel)
<---Good lord, having to read the x-stuff amidst the KIB stuff, because of where Marauders falls in the x-men reading order SUCKS....but whatcha gonna do?--->
9. X-Factor #7 (Marvel)
10. Hellions #9 (Marvel)
11. KIB: Marauders #1 (Marvel)
12. KIB: Gwenom vs. Carnage #2 (Marvel)
13. KIB: Black Knight #1 (Marvel)
14. KIB: Return of the Valkyries #2 (Marvel)
15. Engineward #7 (Vault)
16. Firepower #7 (Image/Skybound)
17. Year Zero Vol 2 #3 (AWA/Upshot)----Just came in, released last week
18. Chained to the Grave #1 (IDW) <-----Extra Pick-Up (Thanks 2 Brothers for the Recommendation)
19. Man-Bad #1 (DC)
20. Mann's World #2 (AWA/Upshot)
21. Resonant #7 (Vault)
22. The Electric Black Presents #1 (Black Caravan)
23. The Electric Black Presents #2 (Black Caravan)
In the end, I'm going to find new ways to keep myself accountable for meeting goals of both publishing content on both this website and on youtube. If I can meet my goals of publishing things here three times a week for a month, as well as meeting my youtube content goals of at least 4 days of content, then I'll allow myself to put more money in my grail pile etc. When all is said and done, I still want to thank all of you who've helped me jump into this world, now it's all about finding this balance since I am just an army of one! Happy #NCBD
It's been a long last 10 days full of craziness at work, a depressive flare-up (with no meds), and falling asleep on Comic Burrito's livestream.....
I feel balanced, refreshed, and ready to read and write about some books! Here's the reading order for the week:
1. Something is Killing the Children #11 (Boom!)
2. Dryfoot #2 (Mad Cave Studios)
3. Miles to Go #2 (Aftershock)
4. Family Tree # 9 (Image
5. Justice League #55 (DC)
6. TMNT #110 (IDW)
7. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #55 (Boom!)
8. Maestro #3 (Marvel)
9. Batman #101 (DC)
10. Stillwater #2 (Image/Skybound)
11. Big Girls #3 (Image)
12. Devil's Highway #4 (AWA/Upshot)
13. Dead Day #4 (Aftershock)
14. X-Men 13 (Marvel)
15. Excalibur #13 (Marvel)
16. Scumbag #1 (Image)
17. Daredevil #23 (Marvel)
18. Shadow Service #3 (Vault)
19. Engineward #4 (Vault)
20. Spider-Wman #5 (Marvel)
21. Iron Man #2 (Marvel)
22. Dune House Atrides #1 (Boom)
23. Harley Quinn (from the White Knight Universe) #1 (DC)
Bought But Behind on ......
Robin King #1
The journey of a 30-something father of three who's trying to break into the world of reviewing comics after a loooooong hiatus...