So someone asked me via twitter a couple of days ago, why I do not write negative reviews of books on my blog. I think I have a couple of explanations as to why:
1. Pull List Control: My pull list for the most part screens out books I do not like. I had been reading books for a couple of months before I started taking the notion of writing reviews consistently, seriously. I found several things that I did not like, and I simply took it off my list.
2. It's bad vs It's not for me: I don't think all comics are written for all people. Just like each author of any type of medium, or any artist has a voice or style which is tailored in the direction of a particular fan base, I do not see why comics is any different. There have been a couple of books, where I've ended the review, by simply stating that the book is just not for me (like Star Wars books).
3. Don't be that guy: I'm evolving as I age (maybe getting softer...) but even when my students do something I don't like, I don't berate them consistently about how bad it is, I find a way to morph it productively. As I don't have the influence to look at a comic creator and go "here's how you get better..." there's no use going on a rant about how much I hate something on the internet...we all know that person, are annoyed by that person, may be that person in private...but it's not how I want to project myself online.
4. No Balls? Maybe I just don't have the balls to tell someone I hate their stuff, but why waste my time screaming into the void, if there is probably someone who equally likes something how much I dislike it.
5. I googled shit about my zodiac sign: I'm a Taurus, and we apparently hide our emotions to make sure no one can use them against us, so maybe "my sign" prevents me from doing it?
That's about it, I'm doing the weekly cooking for my family, and this was bouncing around in my brain as I was moving between recipes!
Thank you for coming to my TED talk.
The journey of a 30-something father of three who's trying to break into the world of reviewing comics after a loooooong hiatus...